- Scope and investigate priority areas and emerging trends in urban climate governance, including new local mitigation and adaptation policies and climate justice in the areas of urban mobility, urban planning, building and renovation, and renewable energy infrastructure.
- Monitor and assess the role and engagement of cities in regional and international climate and sustainability policy frameworks, such as the European Green Deal, the UN Paris Agreement and the UN 2030 Agenda.
- Develop and design the GCP’s research agenda on global urban climate governance in collaboration with the Director of the GCP and Barcelona City Council.
- Contribute to the GCP’s broader research priorities, including city diplomacy, the role of cities in digital transformation processes and a just transition.
- Research and write policy briefs, op-eds and academic articles, particularly on cities as global climate governors and on urban environmental policies.
- Commission and edit policy briefs, reports and book-length edited volumes.
- Collaborate with colleagues across CIDOB to provide content for its activities, research and outputs.
Project management & communication
- Conceptualise and organise seminars, workshops and other in-person and virtual convenings.
- Represent the GCP and CIDOB at external meetings, conferences and webinars.
- Maintain and develop partnerships with experts, policymakers and city networks working on climate-related issues in Europe and globally.
- Support the communication and dissemination of the GCP’s research outputs and activities via social media and other platforms, in collaboration with CIDOB’s communication team.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from the GCP and CIDOB to develop funding applications.
- Deliver project reporting and formulate and maintain project budgets.
- Master's degree in urban studies, environmental policy, public policy, international relations or a related filed is required. A PhD is desirable.
- At least five years work experience in research, a think tank or the public sector in the area of urban climate and environmental governance, global cities and/or city diplomacy, ideally in an international environment.
- Experience in designing and delivering policy research.
- Demonstrated expertise in writing high quality thought pieces, policy recommendations, and academic articles, as well as in coordinating and editing reports and other publications.
- A track record of conceptualising and organising workshops, conferences and other public events, both in-person and online.
- Proven expertise in policy and academic debates around urban climate and environmental governance, the emerging role of cities as global climate leaders, climate justice, and connections between the green and digital transitions.
- Proven knowledge on the role of cities in global and European governance.
- Extensive research skills and knowledge with policy applicability.
- Excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills in English and Spanish, knowledge of Catalan and other languages is an asset.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Project and event management skills with attention to detail and the ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in an intercultural and interdisciplinary team.
More information: CIDOB’s Global Cities Programme is seeking a Senior Research Fellow to lead its research and other work on transnational urban climate governance