- Scope and investigate priority areas and emerging trends in digital transition, including new policy and regulation at local, national and European levels.
- Develop and design the GCP’s research agenda on cities’ digital transformation, in collaboration with the Director of the GCP and Barcelona City Council.
- Lead the research and other activities of the Global Observatory of Urban Artificial Intelligence within the Cities Coalition of Digital Rights.
- Contribute to the GCP’s broader research priorities, including city diplomacy, the role of cities in climate governance and in a just transition.
- Contribute to CIDOB’s research agenda, particularly on digitalisation and international relations, artificial intelligence and the digital transition, among others.
- Research and write policy briefs, op-eds and academic articles.
- Commission and edit policy briefs, reports and book-length edited volumes.
- Collaborate with colleagues across CIDOB to provide content for CIDOB activities and outputs.
Project management & communication
- Conceptualise and organise seminars, workshops and other in-person and virtual convenings.
- Represent the GCP and CIDOB at external meetings, conferences and webinars.
- Maintain and develop partnerships with experts, policymakers and city networks in Europe and globally.
- Support the communication and dissemination of the GCP’s research outputs and activities via social media and other platforms.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues from the GCP and CIDOB to develop funding applications.
- Deliver project reporting, and formulate and maintain project budgets.
- Master's degree in urban studies, public policy, international relations or a related filed is required. A PhD would be an asset.
- At least five years or more work experience in research, a think tank or the public sector in the area of global cities, digital policies, smart cities and/or city diplomacy, ideally in an international environment.
- Experience in designing and delivering policy research, particularly on digital transitions, technological humanism, urban data governance and/or city-led technology diplomacy.
- Demonstrated expertise in writing high quality thought pieces, policy recommendations, and academic articles, as well as in coordinating and editing reports and other publications.
- A track record of conceptualising and organising workshops, conferences and other public events, both in-person and online.
- Extensive research skills and knowledge with policy applicability.
- Excellent writing, editing, and speaking skills in English and Spanish, knowledge of Catalan and other languages is an asset.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills.
- Project and event management skills with attention to detail and the ability to deliver to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and in cooperation with an intercultural and interdisciplinary team.
More information: Call for a Research Fellow, Global Cities Programme, CIDOB