CIDOB (Barcelona Centre for International Affairs), which is based in Barcelona and has been an independent think tank dedicated to the study, research and analysis of international issues for over 40 years, is opening a call to fill the position of Director.
The Director will act based on the directives of the CIDOB Board and will have the following duties:
- Perform duties relating to the management, promotion and supervision of the Foundation;
- Execute the agreements made by the Board;
- Identify priority research subjects and lead the Foundation's lines of research, activities and publications;
- Be responsible for the Foundation’s accounting and economic and financial management, including auditing, keeping to fiscal commitments, and the control and supervision of its operating account;
- Hire Foundation staff and exercise leadership on this subject, which includes selection, appointment, promotion, remuneration, incentives, sanctions and dismissals in accordance with the Foundation's legal and regulatory procedures;
- Sign the Foundation’s agreements, contracts and general documents;
- Prepare the institution's annual budget and implement its compliance with the budgetary projections approved by the Board.
The profile sought is the following:
- Doctoral degree. Academic qualifications and publications in the social sciences and international relations fields are an advantage.
- Experience and knowledge of the Catalan, Spanish and European administrations and international institutions.
- Expert knowledge of the international agenda.
- Outstanding leadership and team management capabilities.
- Communication and media presence capabilities.
- Experience of working in think tanks of high standing and international prestige is desirable.
- Commitment to and knowledge of CIDOB's values and goals and compliance with its Code of Ethics.
- The international qualification and level of publications will be assessed.
- Presentation of a work plan that includes and develops the CIDOB Master Plan 2018–2021.
- Working languages: Catalan, Spanish and English. Knowledge of other languages is desirable.
Send a CV, covering letter and work plan to email@example.com writing “Position of Director” in the message subject of the message. Deadline: July 13th.
The candidate’s appointment is the responsibility of the CIDOB Board on the motion of its chairperson, as established in article 31 of its Statutes. The decision will not be subject to appeal. The anonymity of the candidates will be guaranteed.
According to Article 31 of the Statutes: "The role of the Director is remunerated in the terms considered appropriate to the nature and representativeness of the role and its duties”. Given its research responsibilities and nature, and that CIDOB is subject to the basic legislation and the regulatory framework of the European system of national and regional accounts (ESA), the Director’s remuneration will be in accordance with the criteria that the Government of Catalonia applies to CERCA (Research Centres of Catalonia) and ICREA (Catalan Institution for Research and Advanced Studies) without in any case exceeding the rules on personal expenses, hiring restrictions and other limiting measures that apply to the public sector on which it depends.
The candidate must be available to perform their duties from the decision date and at the latest from January 1st 2019.