CIDOB (Barcelona Centre for International Affairs) opens a research fellow position for its area of Migrations, in particular for the Whole-COMM* project with the possibility of working on other projects. The candidate will participate in the research related to the integration processes of recently arrived immigrants in small and medium-sized towns and rural areas.
- PhD degree in social sciences or humanities, particularly on migration policies and/or inclusion of migrants.
- Five years of experience in the field of research in migration and integration policies and processes.
- Track record of publishing research articles in high impact academic journals, think tank papers and other relevant forums.
- An excellent knowledge of English spoken and written. Fluency in Spanish. A good command of other languages would be an advantage.
- Ability to solve problems, analytical skills, ability to work both autonomously and with an international team.
- Research in the Whole-COMM project on integration processes of recently arrived immigrants in small and medium-size towns and rural areas. Writing of the national report for the Spanish case study in the different work packages of the project; and writing of the comparative final report in the work package coordinated by CIDOB.
- Produce academic articles, scientific reports and CIDOB publications policy-oriented and for the general audience. Participate in mass media channels to disseminate research results.
- Take the lead in planning and organising activities and conferences.
- Participate in the activities and projects of the Migration Area and in the meetings of the research team and collaborate with other research areas at CIDOB.
- Participate in communication and dissemination activities of the Migrations area at CIDOB.
Conditions of employment
Contract period: full-time temporary contract ending on the 31st of December 2022, probationary period of six months.
People from states other than those that are part of the European Union must provide a residence and work permit, in accordance with current regulations.
Remuneration: 35.000€ annually gross, according to labor category established in the Collective Agreement of CIDOB.
Foreseen starting date: beginning of September 2021
Please send a CV with a cover letter and a recent academic article (as a single author) to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating “Researcher Whole-COMM project” in the subject of the email.
Deadline for submitting the application: 27th of June 2021.
After evaluating the candidates, CIDOB will ask the selected candidate (the candidate with the highest score) to provide a copy of the academic degrees and language certificates indicated in the requirements to verify their authenticity.
The selection process follows the spirit of the principles detailed in the European Commission’s General Principles and Requirements of the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for their Recruitment.
The evaluation of candidates will have two phases: 1) Preselection of candidates based on their CV, cover letter and submitted academic article. The candidates who best fit in the position will be preselected. The selection criteria will value their studies and training, including formal and informal education, proven experience in research and high level of languages, credited internationally; 2) Interview stage. The Evaluation Committee will assess the specific competences and knowledge of candidates and their suitability to the research group and center. A score between 0 and 10 will be given to candidates, including strengths and weaknesses.
The Evaluation Committee is the body responsible for presenting a proposal of selection and shall be composed of three complementary profiles. The Committee will guarantee gender balance between its members. The body will be composed of:
- A management position
- Research Coordination
- Research Fellow of the Migration area
The Evaluation Committee will nominate the person with a better score, after concluding a joint deliberation process. Based on the proposal, CIDOB Direction will award the position to the best ranked candidate.
Candidates can use the complaint mechanism or ask for further information regarding the evaluation process during the 10 days following the announcement of the results. To that end candidates should write an e-mail with their concerns to email@example.com
The results of the selection process will be communicated to the applicants at the end of July 2021.
Protection of personal data: The data of the candidates will be processed to manage the selection process. The entity responsible for processing is the Centre d’Informació i Documentació Internacionals a Barcelona (CIDOB). The legal basis for the processing of your data is your consent, which you grant when submitting your candidacy.
Your data will not be communicated to third parties, except for those arising from legal or contractual obligations of CIDOB. If not selected, your data and CV will be destroyed within a period of maximum 6 months after the completion of the contracting procedure. To obtain more information or to exercise your rights of access, rectification, deletion, opposition, limitation or portability of your personal data, you must send an application to the attention of the Security and Ethics Committee, C/ Elisabets 12, 08001 Barcelona or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
*The Whole-COMM Project, funded by the European Commission through its H2020 programme, promotes scientific knowledge about the dynamics and causal mechanisms that influence the complex relationship between integration policies and Community cohesion. This is through a comparative approach between countries (8 EU and 2 non-EU) and between localities (40), and a mixed methodology that combines qualitative and quasi-experimental techniques, an attitude survey and a quantitative analysis on the impact of policies on social cohesion and immigrant integration trajectories.